YFC News from The Front

Youth For Christ Europe, Middle-East & North Africa Area: Aiming to produce young people who are led by Jesus, lead like Jesus and lead others to Jesus

Sunday, November 05, 2006

BIKE ACROSS THE USA - IT'S ON!


We have been talking about it for a while. Now we are committed. No doubt almost everyone has dreamed of climbing aboard a bicycle at one side of the United States and getting off, sweating only lightly, a mere 4,250 miles later at the other side. No - not everyone?
Well, if you are one of the possibly-certifiable people who have, this is good news. The European, Middle-East & North Africa Area of Youth For Christ (YFC EMENA) is planning a sponsored ride starting June 17 2008 from Anacortes, Washington, finishing August 15 (hopefully still 2008) in Bar Harbour Maine.

More details will be available soon on our website, but basically, once you get yourself to the start line with your bike and sponsorship money, we will organise all the logistics of food, accommodation and bike repairs, etc, and aim to get you to the finish line in one piece. Single bikes and tandems will be accepted, but only riders aiming to ride the full distance. We are accepting no more than 60 registrations, from people between 16 and 70 years, with two-thirds of the places reserved for people from the EMENA Area, and the remaining one-third for riders from the other three YFC Areas.

If you like you can register an interest now by commenting on this blog, and we will get in touch with you as soon as we have a registration form. At that point we will ask for a reg fee of $250, which will be your commitment, and which, if you are accepted, will be non-refundable except in circumstances so remote that we can't even imagine them! This will be a huge project for us, so we need to know that people will be totally committed to following through on it.

But exciting or what?? Let us know ASAP if you are interested.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woohoo can't believe it is actually happening! so unbelieveably interested it isn't funny....can't hold back the excitment in fact going to go and put our lycra clothing on now and get into the mood!!!

     
  • At 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi John, I am well excited about this ride!! I have been talking to Emma about it... it sounds amazing! I would love to do it, please permanent marker my name in and keep me posted. Email t.meseg@uea.ac.uk. Cheers, Toby Meseg.

     
  • At 12:59 pm, Blogger John Duncan said…

    Hey Beth & Louis, Toby, and Pete & Linz: GREAT news!! I am counting you all in. Should be a life-time-high experience

     
  • At 10:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I'd like to give it some consideration as I've been cyling recently in the aim to lose weight and get fit... give us a bell at the next stage.

     
  • At 10:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What was I thinking... 2months away from home and back in time for a divorce!! That notion didn't last long! Sorry...

     
  • At 10:01 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    John,

    Don't know if you remember me, but I worked with YFC NI at Dungannon back in 2000/2001, before returning to my native USA. I currently live in Superior, Wisconsin and if there's anything I can do to help make this happen (anything except actually ride a bicycle myself, that is) let me know. Wisconsin is probably not far off the beaten path if the cyclists are travelling from Anacortes to Augusta. I'd love to host some cyclists if they are near-by and can probably get my church involved . . . Also, my husband is in the military, which means that we know people stationed in various places across the USA that may want to get involved, too. In fact, a college friend of mine currently lives in Anacortes.

    Hope all is well with you and yours.

    Merry Christmas!

    Joanna (Cicero) Pepper

     
  • At 11:19 pm, Blogger Paul said…

    Hi John,
    just thought I'd confirm my interest, though I know you've spoken to Emma. It sounds amazing, I can't wait! Please let me know any details if there are any yet, to paulbayfield@hotmail.com. Many thanks, Paul

     

Post a Comment

<< Home